SSPM, or SaaS Security Posture Management solutions help organizations regain control over highly popular SaaS usage, which would otherwise remain completely decentralized and ungoverned. SSPM ensures that SaaS is used safely and in a way that doesn’t compromise compliance, sensitive data, or security posture.
SSPM is part of the broader set of Cloud Security solutions, which also includes:
- Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM), which typically focuses on the visibility and control of IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) and PaaS (Platform as a Service).
- Kubernetes Security Posture Management (KSPM), which typically focuses on identifying configuration vulnerabilities in Kubernetes environments.
- Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB), which essentially act as a security barrier between cloud service consumers and cloud service providers, enforcing enterprise security policies. SSPM and CASBs are often seen as complementary solutions.
What Does SSPM Do?
SSPM is a rising market experiencing rapid growth and adoption. With more and more organizations turning to cloud services, SaaS solutions are skyrocketing in popularity. In this new reality, IT, security, and compliance teams are struggling to keep up with which SaaS applications are being used, by whom, when, and how.
By integrating with organizations’ major SaaS applications such as Google Drive, O365, and Salesforce, SSPM solutions start by mapping out all SaaS usage, third-party connections (also known as SaaS-to-SaaS or App2App), and analyzing the data flowing in and between SaaS applications. They identify who has access and flag related risks.
Once an SSPM uncovers SaaS Shadow IT, one of their key use cases is to protect data residing in the cloud and the data accessed via SaaS applications. They achieve this by finding and understanding the application’s reputation, compliances, and potential risks. SSPM then provides control over user access and permissions given to the applications. They identify inconsistencies in usage, sensitive data shared in an insecure fashion, and offer some level of support for misconfigurations, especially for critical business applications. SSPM often introduces various levels of built-in automation to the remediation processes mentioned above.
Ensuring SaaS Security Posture Management with Wing Security
Wing Security developed a holistic approach to SSPM that provides full coverage, support, and remediation for everything related to SaaS: applications, users, and data at risk. We take pride in having one of the largest SaaS databases in the industry, with over 280,000 applications and web extensions recorded. This database not only ensures accuracy and comprehensive coverage but also serves as a valuable resource for our customers. They can access it whenever they need to look up information about any SaaS application.
Our core use cases:
- Eliminate SaaS shadow IT with our full SaaS application discovery – provided as a standalone free product
- Protect the data that flows in and in between your SaaS applications
- Prevent insider risk and mitigate threats in user offboarding
- Ensure application compliance
- Manage access and permissions, 3rd party applications included
- Receive near-real-time Threat Intelligence alerts whenever an application used in your organization has been compromised